Saturday, April 20, 2013

What the what-what?

This month has been busy-busy, and I'm exhausted. Between the weather making like a massively awful rollercoaster and the extra writing I've been taking on, I could just plotz. Right here. And I haven't been feeling the knitting.

Yes, I said it. I'm not feeling the yarn right now.

I have sixty trillion skeins of totally sexy new yarn, a million-billion patterns and projects I want to use them with, and I'm just not into it right now.

I feel so empty. So alone.

I have been working, though, on a new project.


My Wollmeise Clapotis. A word which, thank you Google Translator, means "the sound of waves lapping on the shore."


I love the way some ideas are encapsulated in one word for some languages, and other languages have to use more to express the exact same idea. I mean, yes, clapotis can be translated to just 'lapping', but in English we have to express what is lapping where in order to make sense of that word. Apparently, the French already know those two things.

Sort of like how we stole the word defenestration for English. Bob I love that word. It makes me so happy, I can't even express it.

I'm still not much in a knitting mood, but now I'm in a cheerful one, and that's almost as good. :-)

No comments: