Monday, January 21, 2013

Catharsis, or How The Blogger Felt Good About Her Day

You know, I'm over-burdened with yarn. This is a truth. But sometimes, just sometimes, you need to throw petty space concerns and the knowledge of how SABLE'd* you are out the window and just treat yourself.


This would be a pair of Bonnie's Bamboo by Farmhouse Yarns in the colorway Buttercream. Isn't it beautiful? I just love the way it shades from pale yellow to a medium burnished gold. The bamboo adds just enough sheen to make it look like spun gold, too. It's so pretty I can hardly stand it.

It was my impulse buy. My whole purpose for the trip was to find yarn to replace my Fluffley scarf, which has, alas, sprung a hole. Apparently, pure silk yarn can pull apart, did you know that? I do now. Sigh.

So this is what I got to make a new Fluffley:


Rowan by Amy Butler Belle Organic DK. In a delightful warm raspberry color (the sunlight is bleaching it out, but it's more along the lines of the middle color there between the light and shadow). It's cotton and wool, but I think it' soft enough to lay against my neck. It's awful, truly awful to have such delicate, sensitive skin as I do, but I'll knit myself scarves with only the best of yarns to keep myself warm.

Pardon me as I wipe tears of laughter from my eyes. That last sentence...truly amusing.

In other crafty news, I'm taking sewing lessons. I've never sewn anything on a machine, you know that? Well, of course you do, I just told you.

So I've decided to rectify this situation because I want a medium size black dress ("little" not being an adjective any dress I wear should carry), dammit, and shopping for a formal dress with sleeves and a hemline that doesn't stop at the meatiest, dimpliest part of my knee is becoming more painful than just learning how and doing it my own self.

The lengths I go to, I swear.

Anyway, my first project (which will be assembled tomorrow night) is a pillowcase. It's going to be made of this:


The dark green is the body of the case, the batik is the outer edge and the yellow is a bit of fancy trim for in between.



I'm sort of excited. I remember my mom and I going to the fabric store (which may or may not have been Joann's; these are old memories I'm digging up here), choosing patterns, fabric and notions and making clothing and toys. These are fond memories, too, so going and buying my own fabric, for my own project, is making me nostalgic.

I think I'm going to enjoy this.

*SABLE: Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy, also known as Beginner Stash.

No comments: