Monday, July 16, 2012

You. Must. Try. This. NOW.

OMG, people, you will not believe the heaven on a baking tray I discovered this morning!

Chocolate-filled crescent rolls.

Hear me out, now. Just because you eat crescent rolls with a savory doesn't mean they always have to be savory themselves. Dough is dough, and it can be forced into whatever you want it to be with a little tinkering here and there.

Here's the way it goes:

Open your tin of crescent rolls and flatten them out. I use the crescent rolls from Immaculate Baking Co.. It's handy that some companies aren't all up in their baked goods with the soy oils and flours. Blech. But if you prefer a different brand (I wouldn't, on general principles -- soy oil is pretty bitter, and will make it harder to sweeten up the rolls; try and find an all-butter or canola/palm oil version if you can) go for it.

Schmear up your crescent rolls with about a half-teaspoon (the kitchen drawer kind of teaspoon, not an actual measuring spoon teaspoon) of Nutella, or your preferred chocolate/hazelnut spread. Jiff's got a version, and there are some other knock-offs out there, but I prefer the original.


Gods, that stuff is like crack. Oooey, gooey, chocolatey crack.

Roll them up and put them on the baking sheet. Melt a little butter, brush it on top of the rolls. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top (granulated sugar, please; powdered would be nasty) and bake to package directions.

They'll come out all speckled with cinnamon and bursting at the seams with goodness:


Eat like a savage.*

You'll notice that I made the top one out of two crescent rolls instead of just the one. I was experimenting. In future, I think I'll stick to using individual rolls (like the bottom one) because they puff up and come out just about as large as the duplex, meaning you end up with more big, giant hazelnut-chocolate-cinnamon rolls. Win-win.

Now, I'm going to go take my morning medicine:


What? It's for my cardiovascular!

And then I'm going to the local tea shop. I need a cup strainer, and I think they might be able to help in that regard.

Peace, wine and chocolates, y'all.

*Yes, I watch Bitchin' Kitchen. It's a fun show. And she sounds like my grandmother, just a little bit, although how a French-Canadian with Italian parents can manage to sound like a German grandmother from New York is beyond me. But she does. I keep waiting for her to tell me I'm too skinny and need another slice of pork roast.

No comments: