Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crap left to do this week.

Sigh.

That's the pile of books I have to finish going through before Friday this week. It's amazing, you know, how quickly you forget your research skills once you get out of school! I've had these things for the past little while and have been slowly skimming them. As I do, the focus of my researches changes as I find new things that lead to other new things.

Oh, darn my insatiable curiosity!

The upshot of it all is, I've gone through...three of those books. Three. I've got four more, and one of them I'm going to try to keep longer. I have notes of all the titles and authors and call numbers (so I can find them again if needs be), and I know what direction I ultimately want to take the research in, but all that information is just dazzling to my teensy-weensy little mind. God help me, I want to read all those books cover to cover (which, in the course of regular research, I wouldn't bother with).

But I must be getting on with it! I begin half-time nannying in two weeks, so I can contemplate trips to further my researches, as I'll actually have money for gas. And I also want to save up so I can take a longer trip to a place that will give me the right atmosphere for the book I want to write -- Montreal. Well, anywhere in Quebec, actually. I need to get the sounds and culture right, and the closest I can get anymore (if I don't want to get Yellow Fever on the bayou) is Quebec.

You know, I don't even speak French. This is going to be complicated. But dream big! If you consistently dream small, you only ever accomplish small things. I'm going to try this out -- what the hell, I've got nothing but time -- and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but at least I'll have no regrets.

No comments: