Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Am I insane?

Rhetorical question, don't answer that.

But seriously, since the big, muggy heat-wave broke this morning, I've been getting chilled both at my desk and when indoors where there is air conditioning. It's strange. I'm sure I'm not coming down with something; I turn down my fan and I'm ok. Still...chilled in August? I shouldn't be surprised -- I hate air conditioning; it supercools the air when mere cool would do -- but it seems odd. Then again, maybe I'm the odd one.

Anyway, the chill has given me an urge to make a shrug. I just need something I can sling around myself when at my desk, working, so I don't catch an ague.

I like that word, ague. Makes me think of the ocean, somehow.

Anyway, I was thinking I need to make a shrug for myself. Maybe it's time to realize the design I had in mind for these yarns:


I've only had them for-freakin'-ever. Knit Picks Shamrock in two colors that I don't even think they make anymore. Heck, I just went to the Knit Picks website and they don't even make Shamrock anymore. Yikes. I've had them a long, long time.

I bought them ages ago, intending a shrug. A shrug with a tree theme. I'm considering digging them out -- once I've gotten the gift off the needles, natch, -- to use as a second project for when Loki finally burns me out on knitted left-leaning mesh. Which it hasn't, not yet, but I anticipate a day when it will.

I have found that now the Big Heat is, for the time being, moving south again to where it properly belongs, my thoughts are turning to sweaters and shrugs and arm warmers, oh, my. I hate winter -- the cold literally makes my skin crawl -- but I find I don't mind a cooler season that requires a sweater, a hat and maybe some gloves on a bad day. As a knitter, you know I find the thought of cool weather wear just...knitter-nip. I love thinking about shrugs and scarves and sweaters and hats. I love bundling up and snuggling up with a cup of hot chocolate on a frosty night.

I'm not much of a high-summer girl, and I detest low-winter with all my heart, but I do love the in-between seasons. The liminal seasons, when heat and cold are on the way but not quite here yet.

It's a pity I live in a place that doesn't do reasonable weather for long!

No comments: