Friday, April 1, 2011

Erm...

I don't usually bother with blocking scarves. Gauge doesn't really matter as long as the scarf goes around your neck at least once, most knitting stitches are fine unblocked, I don't like blocking. But yesterday I got food particles on my newly done Infinite Scarf, so I had to wash it. Granted, it's rayon, so moths are unlikely to predate the fibers, but still. It's the principle of the thing.

Ooops.

 It spread. Instead of 5'7" of scarf, I've now got over 6'. Which isn't a real problem, it's just a bit longer than anticipated. Now I'll need to be cautious of car axles and such

The stitch pattern did open up nicely, though. See?

Wait, let me get closer:

I rather like it blocked open. It flowed better (heavier, more silky) before blocking and I did like the look of it rolled into a tube, but I'm not completely unhappy with my accidental blocking. If nothing else, you do get more stitch definition.

Anyway. I've started work on my mother's birthday shawl. It's just a garter stitch Danish in a light tan chunky alpaca, but it's going to be warm and squishy, and I think that's what shawls for house wear should be. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the Frog Tree alpaca. It's hard to decide, although I might make myself a shrug. Something smallish, I don't have enough of it for anything big, but warm and snuggly. I have the numbers of my long arm warmers in the Alpaca plotted out, I just need to re-measure properly to make sure I'm adding right. Probably not, but you never know.

And I realized this morning as I headed to the archives to do my first research as a grown up author that every item on my needles, actual or proposed, is alpaca. Gee. Can you tell what my favorite fiber is? :-)

No comments: