Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday, and I've been making hay while the sun shines, as they say. I bought myself some nice, new yarn (which is not here yet--I am anticipating a Thursday arrival.) I'll be back then to show you the new pretties. Mother gave me some cash and had me order my own presents from BBCAmerica shop (I got a Brown Betty and a cookbook.) I also went and got a make-over at the local Sephora, bought a new face. I scheduled a mani/pedi for tomorrow (no openings today, alas). I'm totally going all out on the pampering bit, but I deserve it. I've done some mental heavy lifting this year and found myself after many years apart. And, frankly, I'd like to be pretty. It's not every day a girl turns my new age!

Anyway, my mom made me a pineapple upside down cake for my birthday. It was heavy and moist--reminded me a bit of a sticky pudding, actually--and delicious. I had...well, let's just say I ate way too much of it. Mmmm.*

See? Here's my first slice, with the glass of milk used to wash it off my back teeth and the jump drive containing my magnum opi (I've got at least two embryonic books on there) on my hella messy desk. Eh, it's home.

Dog has been contriving to act like a toddler lately. He's been snubbing his food! It's been years since last he did that (time was, he wouldn't eat the same food for more than a month at a go; nearly died of it, actually, when he got pancreatitis from the constant changes) and I can't decide if it is just that the last food was that good, or if he's just feeling his oats and is not afraid of snubbing chow. Either way, it's a pain in the arse--getting him to eat has turned into some sort of power play on his part, and for a while there I was afraid he was ill (until he stole my mother's dinner and snarfed it down, proving it's not all food he hates, just his,) which made it difficult for me to knit. Inconsiderate! But I have been doing some knitting and will get back to that as soon as the yarn arrives.

Toys! I love birthdays.

*Hey! There's vitamins in the pineapple. Not so much in the sour cream or butter or sugar, but the pineapple is good for you. Very good for you. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2 comments:

AdrieneJ said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Marigold said...

Happy Birthday to you! :D