Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Checking off my To-Do List, one item at a time.

Today was the first day in a long time I felt relatively normal--probably because I actually went to bed last night at a decent, God-fearing hour and slept through (as through as I ever have) for 8 full hours. Amazing what a good night's will do for you!

In celebration, I actually created a mental to-do list and accomplished something for once! I did some work on my book this morning, then collaborated with my co-author (ok, so it was mostly gossip, but we did make plans, too) on the phone. Then I came to my cat sitting gig and actually made a dinner that did not invo
lve the microwave and included vegetable matter. It felt good to get nutrition for once, although the vitamins are crying as they enter my salt and sugar laden blood stream. So much work, so few vitamins to do it! I will have to make better choices.

Sidetrack aside, after that I actually got started on some pay writing today; did the research for two articles tonight and prepped the writing which is more than I've done for cash in what feels like months. I'm proud of myself. I did not get to my fiction writing practice, but the word of the day emails are laden with crappy words lately. I need inspiration, not 'bathos.' Hopefully, in the next few days I'll be getting around to it.


But on to the fun stuff! I attended my very first fiber festival this past weekend and bought some new toys. I even managed to come in under budget--woohooo! It was dizzying, though. The wool fumes addled me completely and I felt as overstimulated as a three year old on pixie stix set loose in a toy store. As an adult, I tried to maintain my cool in the face of such rampant fibery goodness, but, well.... Witness below the evidence of my mild yarn rampage.

I started off the day with a mild Robin Hood jonez. Couldn't get that darn song out of my head for two days. The first bunch of yarns I fell in love with had a definite forest vibe.

Carriage House Woolens, Charlotte yarn. No color named, but oooh, ain't it pretty? I love it. I was going to pass it by and see all the exhibits before buying, but there were only three skeins sitting there. If I'd passed it by, it would have been gone before I got back. I think it's a lace-weight or light fingering, so it will end up a shawl.

MacKintosh Yarns, Woodland sock in Sacred Grove colorway. It was on clearance, so I grabbed it. It's just so pretty! I couldn't justify two skeins, even at the clearance price, but there's almost enough to do a small shawlette.

Touch Yarns, lace. Sexy reds slurring through to a vivid fuchsia. I had a hard time choosing between these yarns, as everything they had on the pegs was hot gorgeous. So very difficult to choose, but I was feeling the red. I have their card and their website, so I can always go back for more when I make the money.

Amber Meadow Farm, handspun, hand dyed, color called Angel Wings (sappy, yeah, but beautiful.) It's only 45 yards, but I think it's a chunky, so I should be able to get at least a neckwarmer out of it. I wonder if I could do a braid of stockinette stitch strips, make a bit of a scarf out of it.... We'll see.

Today, I got an IM from an acquaintance on the wonderful Ravelry asking for help obtaining some yarn she cannot get in her country. Always glad to enable another's addiction, I went posthaste to get her yarn and a box and prep the whole thing for shipping. Unfortunately, this activity required me to enter a yarn store. Dangerous. Mother went with me and decided she needs a shawl. I will make her one because she does deserve it, but also because, well, I get to knit it. How can that be so awful?

Thankfully, there was yarn on clearance. Not all of this was clearance, but some.

Bernat Natural Alpaca Chunky, in Persimmon. Three skeins, all for me. Bwahahahahhhaaaaa!

More Bernat Chunky, for Mother's shawl. See how closely it matches Thing 2's coat? And how helpful he's being with the yarn?

Then I got a half a cart of kitchen cotton in lovely colors because I do enjoy a nice dishcloth to cut the tension now and again. They're fast and simple and I can get an ego boost from finishing it up, so I enjoy knitting them. No pictures because I left them at home, and took these pictures here. Oh, well. Trust me, they're pretty.

And just for balance, here is a picture of Thing 1. She's not that chunky, she's fluffy, and she's leering down at me from the upstairs landing. Awww, isn't she adorable?


Ceiling Cat not in, I can helpz yu?

1 comment:

AdrieneJ said...

I LOVE the reds! How lovely! And Thing 1's picture made me laugh out loud. How cute! :)