Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Booyah, beetches

Look at the wanton pile of textile products here. One level of the pile is my nest, where I perch like a cheerful monkey and knit. The other level....

is a half-completed Doctor Who scarf! *happy dance around the room* It's impossible to measure, as it's currently longer than the wimpy 50 inch measuring tape I have at hand. Oooh, hold on....Nope. It's also beyond my five foot (60 inches, for the math impaired) measuring tape as well. Huzzah! It might well be the advertised 14 feet when completed!

I tried to get a shot of the whole scarf, which is really very difficult when one is still practically holding it. In this shot, I hung it from the light fixture (yeah, my brother is probably going to be thrilled with that, but at least I figured out why the one light always seems to go out first--not the bulb, it's the socket that's loose) and still couldn't get far enough away to get it all in frame--not without leaving the room completely, which seems a bit like cheating.

Here it is, on. Still can't see the ends, can you? It's what I'd consider a friendly, workable, wearable scarf length (without the loop in the middle). I imagine it's going to be a bit of a hazard when it's full length, but I'm not the one wearing it. At least, not this one.

But I'm so incredibly glad to be on the downhill half of the scarf. It's not that I can't get these completed in short order, but sheesh. I've never been a regular knitter--more a whenever-I've-not-got-a-good-book sort of knitter. If nothing else, I like to think this might have gotten me into a regular habit, the basis of good mental hygeine.

Sort of like flossing, just with less spit.

2 comments:

smariek said...

CONGRATS on finishing half of your Doctor Who Scarf, that is already a great accomplishment given the finished size. This has been on my todo list, but I am still trying to find the right yarn (& colors) and working up to the gargantuan task (even though it is just plain garter stitch).

LOVE how you hung it up on the light fixture to take the photo! :-D

Silver Phoenix said...

I just went with the standard recommendation (in wool: the Brown Sheep choices) myself, which was kind of a pain if you want the truth. I had to go through two separate retailers to find all the colors in the quantities needed! I'm glad I did, though. It's turning out nicely (if I do say so myself. :-)