Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Yeehaw! (Day 2, actually)

I won a yarn!



Tua Bella ran a contest to destash and raise money for the Arthritis Foundation. I donated some cash in honor of the fact that she was willing to take a walk on what looked like a very beautiful day, which really probably isn't a fair comment; I've done enough walks for the diabetes foundation to know how they go, she did a drawing and I got my choice of three skeins of sock yarn! I took almost ten minutes to ponder then chose this fellow. It's a bit shocking in color, I agree, but there's something pleasing about the small chunks of lime green tucked in between the emergency yellow and sooty black. I'm not sure what, but there it is. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but one thing at a time.

I've partially finished the Le Petit Trianon for friend's grandbaby. By that, I mean I'm done on the knitting. It looks a bit like the dog's breakfast (which is a meaningless statement in my house; my dog's breakfast looks quite tasty) at moment, but I intend to get some ribbon and gussy it up. I've moved on to the bibs. Hopefully, I'll have a meaningful start on the bastards by the time the new Mythbusters airs tonight. I love that show.

I'm going a bit insane with the payoff day being so close and all, but I've been doing deep breathing and some meditation right before bed which, surprisingly, helps a lot on getting me to sleep without the night terrors and sleep paralysis (I'm a lucid dreamer, and consequently I am quite prone to night terrors), which is really quite nice as the other tips I'd read (milk, soothing music, staring at a bright light for a few minutes before trying to sleep) weren't working. I'm starting to self-soothe with the mantra "It's only for a couple more days and then we'll be financially free!" which isn't quite true, as I'll be completely broke until my next paycheck, the 12th. Oh, well. Small price to pay for the knowledge that past this point, my money is my own.

Oh, yeah, and the bit a few days ago about my sister getting me a credit with the vet? Yeah. It's gone. Dog decided to cultivate a dreadful...don't-know-what on his little toe of the rear foot. It was hellishly grotesque (I'm sparing you a picture; frankly, I don't want to see it up close, it's that nasty) and I flipped out when I saw it. Thankfully, Mother talked me down from the tree and I calmed down enough to cope until I could get Dog to the vet. She couldn't figure out what it was, but we've got him cranked up on antibiotics, we're soaking the foot in Betadyne every night (and that's a ton of fun, let me tell you) and it seems to be getting crustier and lighter, like the middle is dissolving. I really hope so, if it doesn't go away on its own and if the x-rays suggest it, he might lose the toe. Not that it's vital (she called it a 'turning toe', which I took to mean it's a toe he uses during high speed maneuvers; as he's more a...Toyota Camry than Lotus 2-11, I don't think he really needs it at all), but it's a matter of vanity. Like anyone'd notice, really.

My life is so exciting! How unfortunate. Ah, well, if nothing else it will make for an interesting biography at some point....

No comments: