Friday, August 22, 2008

Who the hell am I, and what have I done with myself?!?!? (Day...oh, who knows anymore!)

The day count is rapidly becoming irrelevant--I will have the money to pay the last of my debts on Friday next. I will be updating my debit to pay off at that point. No sense in waiting. I just have to move my cash around and email my new debit form to the credit counselling people and Bob's your uncle, Fannie's your aunt. I just...want the whole thing over with, frankly. I'm quite tired of it. The whole event has been quite an event. At this point, I think that's the best I can say. Ask me Monday after next what I'm feeling, and I'm sure it will be different, in the meantime....

So, yeah. I'm beginning to wonder what happened to me. I got all that nice alpaca yarn that I showed you in the last post, remember? Anyway, I've been wanting to do a scarf with it so I've been scouring my stitchionaries (I have lots) trying to find one that will serve. And then I did something very unlike me:

I swatched. And then I bound off the swatch and staked the barstard out good and tight. Sorry about the checked nature of the blocking "board", but I hadn't planned on needing to block lace for a while yet and had to make do with the stuff to hand.

Then, being a knitter with a blog, I took tons of photos, because I'm weird like that, yo. I begin to realize just how badly I need help.

Anyway, I unstaked it today and looked at it.

It's blocked unevenly because one of the pins wasn't in as tightly as the others and pulled up, but otherwise, I think it works as a stitch pattern, and for a wonder I think I've managed to use a needle size that I'm going to keep (I had it done up in a size larger needle, but I didn't like the swatch so I frogged and reknit it on the smaller needles). It's four inches wide and almost five long in one repeat. I think I'll just make the scarf one repeat wide (therefore using the yarn for length, making for a long, narrow scarf), and then do a ruffle at the ends. Maybe a double ruffle? I don't know, I'll have to ponder the wonder that is the yarn.

Right now, I've got two teenaged girls doing their darndest to be loud and ignore the poor pre-teen boy who is the younger brother of one of the girls. It's very hard to think about yarn and gauge and scarves and stuff when there's giggly silliness. I just have to wait another hour until I can take them to the movie theater, stick them in a dark auditorium and wait for the credits to roll. I love movies; they last almost long enough to get me through until the owners of these children return and they shut them up like nobody's business.

I think there's Jet Li, too, so I should be entertained as well. If I'm not in the papers for trying to sell three children on the black market tomorrow, then you know it all went well.

No comments: