Thursday, June 26, 2008

I've been gone a while, haven't I? (Day 83, or thereabouts)

I really need to bring my calendar home so I can keep track, you know? Actually, I think I'm right, today is Day 83. I have less than three months to go! Yay!

This week has been nuts, absolutely nuts. I have too many things to do and not enough time in which to do them, and everything is marked in big, red letters "URGENT! OH MY GOD! THIS IS SO URGENT I'VE GOT HEMORRHOIDS FROM THE URGENCY! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!" It's a bit tiring, because I usually do my time management thing based on what is burning the fastest, but everything on my desk is burning like California on a nice spring afternoon. I can't prioritize, because everything had to be done six weeks ago, and it seems that no matter which project I pick up to work on, it's the wrong one. I feel better now that my boss is back, because I do rely on her to do that sort of goal setting for me (since I have no clue anymore what my company is about). Maybe I can get some focus now that she's back from vacation.

I'm ripping a lot of my music (the stuff I like, now,) to iTunes. I will probably still carry my cds for a while to work, simply because, well, the battery life sucks on my Shuffle, but also because I have no screen and can't choose what songs to listen to. I get what I get, which I'm not too happy about. Hateful. Maybe after I get paid off, that's what I'll do to blow off shopping steam: upgrade. Or, since I've got a birthday between hither and yon, I'll just ask for money towards a new iPod and upgrade sooner. Mmph. Maybe not.

I went to visit friends in Columbus this weekend. I really like the neighborhood where my friend lives (quite expensive, which is probably why), and caught myself thinking all weekend long, I could live here. It's nice, and olde tyme, and there's bratwurst. The streets are an exercise in automotive shock and suspension failure, but other than that.... I could cope. I keep thinking to myself, Where will I end up?, because I know eventually I will leave the city I live in now. Not because I don't like it here, I do, or because I'm running from my past, although I have lots of truly excellent and compelling reasons to do so, but because I'm looking for something. And you know, Auntie Em isn't always right; what you're looking for isn't always right in your own backyard. Sometimes, it's way far and away. In someone else's backyard.

But I don't know. That's a quandry for another day. And another place, if I can find it. I'm tired, I just finished my dinner (fish sticks with ketchup, if you want to know) and I want to finish up loading my music before bedtime. Maybe. My iTunes downloader thingie is slowing way the hell down, and I'm not sure why. Quite irksome.

No comments: